The aim of the research is to explore:
- What is driving the growth in leasehold arrangements that give rise to many of these charges?
- The extent of typical charges.
- The processes by which owners and potential buyers are informed of the charges and their perception of them.
- The arrangements for ongoing maintenance: how the management company is put in place for a specific development and how it is managed.
- How the longer-term maintenance liabilities are determined and built into charges and/or contingency/sinking funds.
- Whether the extent of typical contingency/sinking funds can realistically be expected to cover liabilities for future maintenance and periodic replacements.