This project is commissioned by the Homes and Communities Agency and subcontracted to CCHPR from the University of Sheffield. Using existing data sources, the purpose of this project is to provide a strong evidence base to show what the current provision of affordable housing built over the last 20 years looks like and whether it is significantly different compared with past provision. In particular, to explore:
- what the actual provision of affordable housing currently looks like;
- how it has changed over time particularly over the last 20 years compared to the past, eg from the post war legacy;
- where new build is happening;
- the types of housing we are building;
- physically are current affordable housing provision better places to live in;
- how these fit into the wider tenure and socio-economic geography of England; and
- whether there is any evidence on satisfaction of tenants and residents of new vs old affordable housing provision. For example, to what extent do tenants and residents perceive current affordable housing as more desirable and better able to meet their needs and aspirations than in the past.